Adventure starts mid-July, 2012

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Monday, July 30, 2012 – Much Wenlock


Meeting in the Town Square
After last night’s dinner with Erik, Margeret, Bob and Pam, it was hard to imagine as good a day as yesterday.  But today was another fun day in Much Wenlock.   The day started with our joining the Much Wenlock walking group for their regular Monday morning walk.  As we waited in the town square, clouds overhead produced a few sprinkles and threatened more.  But nothing could dampen the warm welcome Janet and I received when two of the hike leaders, Melinda and Ken, introduced us to the group.  I remembered some familiar faces from last year, and others were new to me, but I had more trouble remembering names.  One lady remarked that this was only her second walk with the group, to which Janet responded, pointing to me, “His too!”

The walkers break themselves into three groups, based on perceived abilities:  striders, steppers, and strollers.  I knew right away that Janet and I were striders – after all, we had just walked 14 miles around Hay-on-Wye on Saturday.  I couldn’t have been more wrong.  The striders are called that for a reason –and I could barely keep up.  Properly, we should have joined the steppers, but after last night’s food and drink, joining the strollers would have been smarter. 

You may remember Much Wenlock as the birthplace of the modern Olympics.  Just imagine the deluge of TV reporters from all corners of the world who are now covering the London Olympics coming to Much Wenlock to tape background reports.  I’m told that when one reporter said he was reporting from a small village 40 miles west of London, the locals cringed – partly because the distance is closer to 100 miles, partly because the direction is closer to northwest than west, but mainly because Much Wenlock is a town rather than a village.  I’m not sure of the difference, but it’s apparently very important to the locals.  I am quite certain that last year I, too, referred to Much Wenlock as a village, and offer my sincere apologies.

At the Tearoom

I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t notice the walk much – so keen was I on just talking with the villagers… I mean townspeople.  But after the walk we were invited to join them for their customary after-walk tea and scones.  So let’s get this straight:  officially, the group is called Walking for Health.  After a good walk, they retire to a tea room for cream tea, scones and clotted cream.  Hmmm.  You know, I could get used to that.





Wenlock Priory
Afterwards, Janet and I toured the ruins of the Wenlock Priory (largely dismantled when Henry VIII split with the church and seized its assets); and the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Wroxeter (abandoned in the decades following the Roman withdrawal from Britain).  The historic ruins were interesting, but I’m going to remember my return to Much Wenlock for the same reason as I remember my first visit:  its people and the warm welcome they gave to us visitors.  The townspeople (see, I got it right) are superb ambassadors for their community, and have good reason to be proud of themselves and their community’s place in history.

(c) 2012 Ken Klug

2 comments:

  1. Sooo wish I was with you for the morning walk, specially knowing there would be scones afterwards!....I am loving reading how much fun you two are having, also seeing how Ken car meet some of the same nice people he met last year.
    Keep the fun coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Town Square looks a little wetter than a few sprinkles would cause. Fun for you to see some familiar faces.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete