Adventure starts mid-July, 2012

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Honing my Skills

It will not surprise you that I am a highly-trained driver.  What may surprise you, however, is that even we exceptionally skilled drivers must practice to maintain our skills.  This is especially true when an American is trying to leave a good impression in a country where people drive on the wrong side of the road.  So with fewer than three weeks before my departure for the UK, I’ve been sharpening my driving skills. 
After working my arms and legs into condition to endure long periods behind the wheel, I’ve turned to practicing driving in the left lane.  Left-lane driving on American interstate highways (“motorways” to the Brits) is no great challenge, but left-lane driving on rural roads and city streets in America can be difficult.  Nonetheless, it is the perfect way to practice evasive maneuvers.   I’m even mastering the art of making right turns from the left lane. 
I can’t tell you how heart-warming it is to see my fellow Americans showing their support of my efforts by enthusiastically pumping their fists in the air and shouting excitedly.  No wedding procession has ever been accompanied by a more joyful honking of horns.  I only hope I can measure up to their expectations when I arrive in the U.K.
Tomorrow I’m going to practice driving from the passenger side of the vehicle, just like they do in Britain.  This will be an entirely new challenge for me, so I won’t be able to talk on the cell phone while driving until I’ve had a little more experience.  In the meantime, just text me and I’ll respond when the traffic thins.


(c) 2012 Ken Klug

5 comments:

  1. OK, here we go again....I have a feeling it's going to be a bumpy ride! You are not even gone yet and already you're making me laugh....next time you go practice your British driving skills, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny, next time you do this kind of practice please let me come and have some fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is going to be a bumpy ride....You are now prepared to drive with the Britts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Computer won't let me comment?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some unknown reasons to me the computer won't let me comment under my name?! I am so happy to see that you are now totally equip to tackle the driving in the UK.
    Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete